Normal (base) Normal (double)
Shovel Knight is the final guest DLC character coming to Rivals of Aether. He will be released on September, 2018, along with his stage, Troupple Pond, and the stages for Sylvanos and Elliana.
- Has many different moves and mix ups.
- The shop mechanic allows Shovel Knight to adapt to different matchups / playstyles. For instance, Shovel Knight can purchase "Ghost Glove" to counter opponents with more range.
- The Dynamo Mail allows Shovel Knight to use aerial Strong attacks after a Down Air. This allows Shovel Knight to execute powerful moves closer to the blastzone.
- Needs to store up treasure to purchase items from the shop.
- Other characters can pick up treasure before he can.
- Drops treasure when he dies.
- Shovel Knight can taunt on the respawn platform to open up the shop and purchase items. This is the safest way to buy upgrades.
Elemental Powers: Edit
- TREASURE HUNTER - Hitting opponents knocks gems out of them, which can be collected. Shovel Knight's taunt opens a shop which can be used to buy Relics and Armor with the collected gems. The amount of treasure is displayed with the damage percent on the bottom of the screen.
- RELICS AND ARMOR - By taunting, Shovel Knight can access a shop and purchase upgrades such as relics and armors.
- SHOVEL DROP - Shovel Knight's down air causes him to bounce off opponents and projectiles just like in his original game.
|Traits||Gem Collecting: When Shovel Knight hits an opponent, treasure is dropped based on the damage of the attack. Characters can collide with the treasure to pick it up, but only Shovel Knight can use the treasure. The amount of treasure Shovel Knight currently has is displayed near the bottom of the screen with the damage percent.
Summon Chester (Taunt): A treasure chest appears in front of Shovel Knight, which has an initial hitbox. The treasure chest opens up the shop interface (at the top of the screen). Shovel Knight can select an item to purchase in exchange for treasure. If multiple Shovel Knights are taunting, there will be multiple cursors in the shop but still only a single shop.
Relics: Shovel Knight can purchase 3 different relics in the shop to replace his Neutral Special. Once a relic is purchased, the default Neutral Special will be unavailable until the end of the match.
Armor: Shovel Knight can purchase 3 different armors in the shop. The armors change his color scheme and properties.
Dying: When Shovel Knight is killed, he leaves floating treasure bags. The bags contain a percent of Shovel Knight's treasure. Other players cannot pick up the bags.
|Dash attack||Blink Dash: Shovel Knight charges forward with his shoulder. He slides across the stage quickly while using this move.|
|Jab||Shovel Swing: A single swing forward. This move is the same as Neutral Air.|
|Forward tilt||Dust Knuckles: Two punches that move Shovel Knight forward. It can combo into itself. This move is the same as Forward Air, so Shovel Knight can transition from ground to air easily.|
|Up tilt||Buzzsaw Boomerang: Shovel Knight throws a buzzsaw in an arc around him. This move covers the front, top, and back. If Shovel Knight is hit during the move, the buzzsaw is disabled.|
|Down tilt||Dig: A two hit attack. The first hit stuns grounded opponents and spikes aerial opponents. The second hit launches opponents upward. This can be used to gimp recoveries.|
|Up strong||Big Dig: A large shovel uppercut. If the move is fully charged, Shovel Knight unearths a large ground block that can damage opponents in an arc. The block can be broken for treasure and picked up by Kragg. If Shovel Knight is wearing Dynamo Mail, he can perform this move in the air right after using Shovel Drop (Down Air) on an opponent.|
|Forward strong||Charge Slash: A fast shovel swing. If Shovel Knight is wearing Dynamo Mail, he can perform this move in the air right after using Shovel Drop (Down Air) on an opponent.|
|Down strong||Flare Razer: Shovel Knight jumps into the air while charging this attack. When the button is released, Shovel Knight performs a multi-hit downward stab that ends in an explosion when he hits the ground. This move drags down opponents in the air. If Shovel Knight is wearing Dynamo Mail, he can perform this move in the air right after using Shovel Drop (Down Air) on an opponent.|
|Neutral air||Shovel Swing: A single swing forward. This move is the same as Jab, so landing while using Neutral Air will cause Shovel Knight to use Jab.|
|Up air||Rising Dagger: A multi-hit upward spin attack. Holding the button makes Shovel Knight rise higher.|
|Forward air||Dust Knuckles: Two punches that move Shovel Knight forward. It can combo into itself. This move is the same as Forward Tilt, so Shovel Knight can transition from air to ground easily.|
|Back air||Flareo Rod: A multi-hit explosion behind Shovel Knight.|
|Down air|| Shovel Drop: A downward stab with a shovel that can be held as long as the button is pressed down. The hilt of the shovel can spike opponents. Hitting an opponent or projectile causes Shovel Knight to bounce.
If Shovel Knight is wearing Dynamo Mail, he can strong attack in the air right after using Shovel Drop on an opponent.
This is Shovel Knight's signature attack.
|Neutral special|| Coin Capture: The Default Neutral Special. Shovel Knight quickly draws all of the treasure on the screen towards him.
War Horn: A purchasable Special. It is a slow attack that pushes opponents outwards.
Ghost Glove: A purchasable Special. A fast but short ranged projectile punch. It can be canceled on landing if timed correctly.
Mobile Gear: A purchasable Special. Shovel Knight throws a box with the mobile gear on the ground. After a few frames, the mobile gear begins to move across the ground with an active hitbox. The gear can be ridden like a moving platform and has gravity.
Note: Purchasable Specials are bought with gems collected in the current match. Shovel Knight's Specials reset after the match is done.
|Up special||Tow Anchor: Shovel Knight jumps in an arc with an anchor in front of him. The anchor has a large hitbox. The initial hitbox is very strong if reversed.|
|Side special|| Propeller Dagger: Shovel Knight dashes forward with a dagger and bounces off walls / players. The dash can be jump canceled but you cannot wavedash out of it. This move can be charged, and if it is fully charged, the move becomes Infinidagger.
Infinidagger: The fully charged version of Propeller Dagger. It travels the length of the stage and can even bounce off the blastzones.
|Down special||Fishing Rod: Shovel Knight casts a fishing rod down, spiking opponents along the way. If used in the air, Shovel Knight floats on a glide cloud. If Shovel Knight fishes off the bottom of the screen, the player will be prompted to press the special button. Depending on the player's timing, Shovel Knight will find either a Treasure Rock or a Golden Fish. Both have hitboxes and can give Shovel Knight treasure.|
Special Costumes Edit
Shovel Knight is the main protagonist of the game Shovel Knight.
- Shovel Knight is the final character in the Rivals roster and the second guest character.
- Shovel Knight may be a fish based on official merchandise and an NPC in the game. This would fit with the theme of animals in Rivals.
- Summon Chester is one of the most interactive taunts in the game along with Arcade Elliana's taunt. Additionally, it is the only taunt that changes gameplay directly.
- Shovel Knight is the third character to be able to use Strong Attacks in the air, the first two being Wrastor and Elliana.
- His element is "Shovel" according to the official stream.
- "Big Dig" is the only move that was named by the Rivals Developers; all of the other moves come from the original game.
- Gem Collecting is similar to the "Coin Battle" mode in Smash Bros. games.
- No other character in Rivals has both a shared Jab and Neutral air and a shared Forward Tilt and Forward Air.
- Shovel Knight and Summit Orcane are the only characters that can change colors during a match.